Simple Beet Latte Recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + ½ cup extra for frothing
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- One 1.5-ounce shot of fresh beetroot juice
- In a medium saucepan, heat a cup of milk with honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and ginger over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Combine the warm milk mixture and beetroot juice and pour in your favorite coffee mug.
- Use a milk frother on the other ½ cup milk until it becomes foamy then top onto the pink latte.
- Sprinkle with extra ground cinnamon for good measure.
- Sip on!
Pink Latte Prep Tips
- For extra zing and zest, add a splash of OJ or lemon juice! Each are rich in vitamin C proven to boost immunity.
- Have fun playing with flavors, including the addition of nutmeg or swap honey for maple syrup.
- Have a nut allergy? Swap milks to meet dietary needs and preferences, including coconut, dairy, soy, and rice milks.
- Allow to cool and pour over ice for a refreshing afternoon pick-me-up!
- If feeling a little ambitious… Learn how to prepare a homemade, fresh beetroot juice.
- You can also look to a beetroot juice powder, which fully dissolves in water and provides an easy-to-prepare juice. And not to mention, beet powders on Amazon are ample, including this 1 lb. bag!
The Benefits of Beets
Also known as beetroots, beets are a root vegetable often stocking the salad bar. But beyond its presence sandwiched between the croutons and shredded carrots, beets are frequently added to soups, pickled, used as a natural coloring agent, and mixed into the newest “it” pink latte! And despite its described earthy flavor, beets are rich in sucrose and frequently used to produce refined sugar. Beyond its culinary use, beets boast major benefits to the body thanks to its nutritious and generous supply of antioxidants, phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals. Nonetheless, the nutrient-density and anti-inflammatory properties of beets boosts the immune system, enhances energy, and fights colds, illnesses, and infections. Beets are also well-known for their dietary nitrate content, which get converted to nitric acid that relaxes and dilates blood vessels, in turn showing to reduce systolic blood pressure and fight the progression of dementia. Other momentous benefits of beets include sports performance enhancement, cancer prevention, heart health support, and liver detoxification.
While the beet predominates the color of the latte, the other ingredients should not be outshined! In fact, New research suggests cinnamon can lead to weight loss, along with previous and ongoing exploration to manage blood sugars, lower cholesterol, control muscle spasms and gas; while ginger can treat an upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, and digestion, along with easing pain related to menstrual periods, headaches, and various forms of arthritis.